"And he comprehended that war was the peace of the future. . ."

jueves, 15 de julio de 2010

My experience learning English at the University


I think that learning English is very important for every student in college. It's a necessary tool not only for communicating with others when we need it, but for using it in different subjects or classes that we have to take besides English. Even though, I love English now, when I was in high school, I just learned it because I had to, and it wasn't much fun because we didn't do many practical activities. In college, I didn't have to take all English courses because I got exempted, but I did want to take an elective or something similar.

When I decided I wanted to take English as an elective, I thought it was a good idea because it wasn't going to be as hard as other classes for me, I could take it as an elective I need for the basic requirements at college, and because I think it's always good to learn new things, and practice English with my peers.
I'm very interested in practing it because I used to be an exchange student three years ago, and it's been quite a while since I don't have a chance to practice the "speaking part." I do talk to people from the country I went to once in a while, but it isn't enough. I think it's good to talk to other people, and to learn with other partners because we lose the fear we have for speaking in other language. It's kind of what happened to me when I was away. I thought I wasn't going to get used to speaking, hearing and writing, but as time went by I realized I got used to it, and I could talk, hear and write as much as anybody who spoke English there. =) And that was an excellent thing to know!

I liked the English class because we were able to give our opinions freely, without caring about mistakes. I think that's more important in an English course than anything. We can also learn grammar, and the general rules for English, but I felt that we did that as we expressed ourselves speaking. And writing in our blogs was very important to complement our knowledge as well. I didn't find boring topics to write about, so it wasn't a "torture" to write here. It distracted me from the other things I had to do for college, actually.

My general reflection should just say that I always want to keep learning English, and that it's always something interesting to learn for me. I need to use it often, and I'll keep doing it as much as I need to. Like I said, I think it's very important in our career, and in the things that we have to do in the future, like studying abroad, or getting another degree in a different country, for example.
For me, taking the class was helpful in all ways, and it definitely gave me something different to do on weekends!
Greetings for everyone!
=)



No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario